Monday 24 August 2020

The Day Things Started to Disappear

 The Day Things Started to Disappear: I am woken up to a shiver running down my spine as I blindly reach for my duvet. Squinting I see a bright light coming from the window. “It’s too early.” I croak, before attempting to reach for my duvet again and retreat to my cave, but all I can feel is thin air. I open my eyes fully. My duvet is gone, so is my pillow, and half of my possessions. I stumble out of bed fuming, storming into my little sister's room.  “What?” Joanna mumbles, sitting upright and bleary eyed. “I’m sick of your little pranks is what!” I said in rage. “Now give me back my stuff!” “What are you talking about?” he is fully awake now, and looking at me like I’m crazy. “You’re ridiculous.” I sat, before slamming the door. I’m just about to go downstairs when I hear a piercing scream from outside. I felt the adrenaline as I rushed to the window, swiftly wiping the condensation with my clammy hand. Utter chaos greets me as I peer outside. Sirens are blaring and people are running onto the streets, their faces painted with fear. Screaming for mum I headed downstairs to get a closer look to what is going on. But everything seems different, almost as if it is from another dimension. I have never seen the house so clearly, the coffee table is missing, so are the items upon it. A series of photos and artwork has also vacated their spot on the wall. I scream for mum again, my voice becoming more urgent and shaky. I wait in the eerie silence. Nothing. I rushed outside. The cold air hitting me like a thousand needles. As I look around at the havoc I pinch myself. ‘Please let this be a dream, please let this be a dream.’ I will in my head. Someone grabs me from behind. I smell coffee from their breath. Mum’s shaking voice calms the fear that is swallowing me whole. “Get inside.” She states with a sense of urgency I have never heard so clear. I turned around, my hair whipping my face in the wind as I did so. I walk towards the house to open the door, apart from, there is no door. Only a gaping hole leading to the bare hallway. I rock back and forth on the carpet, a single tear escaping from my eye. I run my hand through my hair as I scream in confusion, but I’m interrupted by a banging sound. My brother crashes into view, his lightning blue eyes wide with worry. Jake rushes towards me as I envelope him in a hug. Trying to calm my breathing. “Hey, hey, It’s okay, I coo.” trying to convince myself as well as Jake. “I tell you what, why don’t you stick the TV on? It’ll distract you for a little.” I say, unsure what else to do. “ After wiping away his tears he reaches for the remote and switches it on. The news fills the screen as the lady announces that all around the world items, like food, paper, and even houses are vanishing around the world. My brother and I look at each other in unison. Mouths wide open with shock. My lip starts to shake, I slowly turn back to the TV , crossing my fingers that this is all made up. After the screen showing nothing but chaos, fear and confusion. I reach to switch it off. The room filled with utter silence. Once again I turn to my right to see Jake. But I was met with an empty seat. “Jake?” I croak. “JAKE!” I call out again, more alarmed than ever. I went outside to see if he went to find mum. But she was nowhere to be seen. In fact no one is there. I let out a muffled scream and collapsed onto the frosty floor. I get up. Making a cloud with my breath. I run, run away from everything and nothing. There are no people, no houses, no signs of life. I am all alone.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment